fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Should I update from Logic Express to Logic Pro X? I use FCPX 15 Jan 2015 16:41 #58516

been debating if I should bother updating Logic Express on my iMac that I've had for years, up to Logic Pro X. I got Logic Express back in '09, so I'm not sure what version it is. But I feel weird spending $200 on a program that might not be that big of a change from what I have other than the look of the interface.

Is there really any big differences or updates that make this version of Logic any better? I've tried looking on Apple's site about Logic and I don't really see any differences, unless I'm missing something.

I also use FCPX a lot. I'll use Logic Pro for doing songs here and there for personal use, but I will use it occasionally for some audio work in FCPX on client projects (voice over, adding music and sound effects, and mixing it all together).

Will Logic Pro X give me a better advantage over '09's Logic Express?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Should I update from Logic Express to Logic Pro X? I use FCPX 16 Jan 2015 16:02 #58568

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
LPX is a huge change. Much nicer interface, and has tons of more power under the hood than LE. Now, do you need that power? Do you have a complex MIDI setup? If LE works for you, stick with GarageBand, which is even easier to deal with than LE. Have you tried mixing your sound in FCPX? I do all my voice work and mixing in there, unless I have to compose and do very complex mixing. The FCPXML roundtrip to and from LPX is much better than before, but still needs a bit of improvement.

You don't have the amp designer, the smart drummer (my fav), smart controls, retiming tools that LPX has, in your current LE. Tons you don't have. But do you need all of that?

Either way, don't get LPX if you're on Yosemite, there's tons of bugs. If you're still on Mavericks, and don't plan on a Yosemite update soon, go for it. It really depends on how much you do, how deep to you go into things. You may want to seriously consider GarageBand.

Should I update from Logic Express to Logic Pro X? I use FCPX 16 Jan 2015 16:32 #58571

well i don't want to consider garage band. i'm a little above that. I recently recorded and mixed my friends album on logic express, and i know there would be no way to do what we were doing in garage band, to many limitation.

i don't do that all the time, but i like to have that option.

smart drummer might be the only reason i'd upgrade i guess. i'm on yosemite right now, so maybe i'll just hold onto LE for a while just to be safe. thanks!

Should I update from Logic Express to Logic Pro X? I use FCPX 16 Jan 2015 23:34 #58584

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
I know a local band I helped with their first music video. They recorded a whole CD with GarageBand. I'd not call it limited. But seriously look at Logic Pro X when the next update comes out and hopefully fixes the OS X 10.10 issues. If LE is working, stick with it.

Should I update from Logic Express to Logic Pro X? I use FCPX 28 Jan 2015 12:50 #58965

Logic Pro X does have its more basic modes. Within the Preferences you could enable as little or as much options as you like for editing and creating audio.

If you don't work with the ashore facilities, for example, you can disable them, further simplifying the app for yourself. But you can reactivet these options at any time.

• Page: