fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FCPX Crashing a large project 04 Jul 2022 16:29 #121225

My FCPX crashes each time I open this one project. I have a 16 inch M1 Macbook Pro with most up to date OS and FCPX version. The project is large with 3 hours of 4k multi cam. I included the crash report! ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I have already tried restarting computer and uninstalling and reinstalling FCPX and deleting preferences. NOTHING IS WORKING! Please help thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCPX Crashing a large project 04 Jul 2022 16:38 #121226

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Crash log? You may need to zip the file and then post it here.

A first thing to try is to launch FCP with the option key pressed and choose to create a new Library when the dialog window appears. If this works, it would tend to eliminate FCP itself as the source of the problem and suggest that there is a problem in your Library or possibly an external drive(s)...

Last edit: by DaveM.

FCPX Crashing a large project 05 Jul 2022 03:47 #121230

Is the library an external drive or internal? If internal do you have at least 10% of free space available?

FCPX Crashing a large project 06 Jul 2022 17:33 #121251

I attached a screen shot of the crash log. Do you know how to read it? It's all gibberish to me. Let me know if it provides any insight.

The issue is definitely with this one specific project. I'm editing on a high end external drive that has lots of free space. It's a 36TB drive that handles 4K footage well. Everything else in this library works fine including events and other projects. I just have this one project that freeze FCPX when I try to open. If I try like 10 times it will eventually work. Total mystery to me and advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments:

FCPX Crashing a large project 06 Jul 2022 17:35 #121252

Hey Larrie,
I'm editing off a large external drive that is marketed as a device that can handle 4K editing and I have about 35% free space on it. I do not think the problem is with the drive I think it is the project. I duplicated the project file which allowed me to continue editing but shortly after the issue came back and I am unable to open it.

FCPX Crashing a large project 06 Jul 2022 20:17 #121253

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Would you please post the crash log file. The screenshot you provided cuts off most of the report. We would like a full report, as text, not a screenshot.

You can go into Console.app and select Crash Reports or Spin Reports and look at everything related to Final Cut Proand save those files (you can right-click them and choose "show in Finder"). Zip any files and post them here, please.

Sometimes, the crash or spin reports don't get saved. So, you could click into the window when the crash/spin dialog appears (like your screenshot), select all and paste into a TextEdit plain text file, then zip and post it here (or several, if you have more than one). Thanks.

P.S. - The part of the report visible in the screenshot provides some info about your setup, specifically that your internal drive, which appears to be 1 TB, is about 2/3 full (that's okay). It appears that your MBP has 16 GB of RAM (this may be an issue with very large, complex Projects)...

The report seems to indicate that you force-quit FCP after waiting around 5 to 6 minutes. Did FCP crash or did you force-quit. If you force-quit FCP when it seemed that the Project wasn't loading, you may not have waited long enough. Some larger, complex Projects can take a LONG time to load (up to 30 minutes or more). So, if you force-quit FCP, you should restart your MBP, start up FCP and load the Project. Let it go for a couple of hours (or overnight). Make sure the MBP isn't set to automatically go to sleep. If this works and it eventually loads, you can select the Project in the Browser and choose File-> Delete Generated Project Files... (choose everything to delete).

Once we get a better handle on the nature of the issue, we can try some other things...

FCPX Crashing a large project 07 Jul 2022 04:23 #121255

Did you duplicate the project within the same library or copy the project to a new library? If you copied the project to a new library and still have the problem then it may be a project issue.

Another thing you can try is exporting the project as an XML file, then import that into a new library and reconnect the media.

FCPX Crashing a large project 07 Jul 2022 14:36 #121259

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 534

My FCPX crashes each time I open this one project. I have a 16 inch M1 Macbook Pro with most up to date OS and FCPX version. The project is large with 3 hours of 4k multi cam...

Are you using multiple monitors? We have one recent report of FCP hangs apparently related to that. As a standard troubleshooting approach, if you are using any external hubs (USB-C or Thunderbolt), offboard audio, wireless audio, etc, as a test temporarily discontinue those. Even if you are simply using a single external monitor, disconnect that, reboot the machine and see if the problem happens.

Are all of your 3rd-party plugins and effects up to date? In general FCP on Apple Silicon is more resilient to plugin issues due to using the FxPlug 4 framework, but it is not totally immune.

What codecs are you using, inc'l the camera make and model? Obviously anything supported by FCP should work and not cause problems; this is just gathering standard information.

If you are using codecs such as RED which require 3rd-party plugins, are those all on the latest version?

Can you give more details on the 36TB external drive? Is it a Thunderbolt RAID array? What brand and model? Some arrays previously used MacOS kernel extensions, which have been deprecated for several years. There were specifically problems with some LaCie arrays due to their drivers. SoftRAID also had problems during the Apple Silicon transition, although I thought those were now resolved.

As previously mentioned by DaveM, if FCP ever actually crashes, when that dialog is raised, copy/paste all the text to a plain text file using TextEdit (set to Format>Make Plain Text) and save that as a .txt, ZIP and attach to a post (do not post in line).

If it is always an FCP hang (not a crash), can you gather the full contents using the above procedure. If it's happening a lot, do this for about three (of each type if it's both crashing and hanging).

Extremely large documentaries have been edited on FCP, so there's not a fundamental scalability limit, we just have to figure out the problem and solution in this specific case.

FCPX Crashing a large project 09 Jul 2022 19:15 #121287

Thanks for your questions. No I am not using monitors, only editing off the MBP 16 inch M1.

Yes my plug ins are up to date. I color grade with Color Finale Pro and recently updated to latest version. The problem I'm experiencing with FCPX completely freezing indefinitely still persists.

External drive is the LaCie RAID 2 36TB. Never had any other issues with it. It works perfectly.

Footage is from Sony A7s3 and FX6. Used many many times with no issue. Just never had a project with this much video on the timeline. 10 hours of 4K with 3 angles and color grading. Do projects have some sort of max capacity that I've reached?

Is there a good way to share my crash log with you? Other than just screen shotting it which I already did. Will that even be helpful.

Thank you for the continued effort to help me solve this.

FCPX Crashing a large project 09 Jul 2022 20:45 #121288

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Is there a good way to share my crash log with you? Other than just screen shotting it which I already did. Will that even be helpful.

Thank you for the continued effort to help me solve this.

Both joema and I offered instructions on how to save your log files from a crash dialog window (or access them via Console if they are saved to files). The screenshot you provided only shows a small portion of the log.

Also, my first troubleshooting tip was to allow the Project 30+ min. to a few hours to open. It's not uncommon for FCP to take a looong time to open a large, complex Projects (timelines).

Larrie suggested selecting the problematic Project in the Browser and saving it as XML, then creating a new Library into which you could trying importing the Project.

There are many things to try to troubleshoot/fix the issue. Please read through each post again. We're here to help, but you have to meet us halfway. Thanks.

FCPX Crashing a large project 10 Jul 2022 00:45 #121292

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

..Do projects have some sort of max capacity that I've reached?..

The data management limits of FCP are very high, far beyond what you are using. On proper hardware, if you are under 10,000 clips per library and several hundred camera hours of material, it's not generally a problem.

OTOH if you have created many, many projects (say 40 to 50) that can create a drag on the system since each is a separate SQL database. It can make a database, event or project slow to open.

If you create a time lapse by importing 1,000 50 megabyte stills, put those in a compound clip and try to color correct it, that will be slow on any machine. That's not a limit per se, it's an example of what not to do.

If you have a 3 hour timeline and apply Neat Video to the entire duration, any machine and any NLE will be very slow. We may eventually need more details about the timeline composition.

Re terminology of "crash" vs "hang", the fragment you posted seems to indicate an FCP hang where the process is non-responsive. From a practical standpoint you might call that a crash but the process is still in memory, so it's more correctly called a hang.

After an FCP hang, do not first try to terminate it. Rather use Activity Monitor, select Final Cut Pro and do View>Run Spindump. That will take a few seconds. There is a button to save that as a .txt file.

If instead FCP actually crashes, that will raise a crash dialog. Do not first press any buttons but copy/paste all that text to a plain text file using Textedit, with Textedit configured for Format>Make Plain Text. Then save *that* as a .txt file. You can select all text with CTRL+A.

If the crash or hang are frequent, please obtain about three of those files so we can compare them.

There are rare cases where the FCP process simply exits and there is no crash dialog or anything. If you observe that, let us know.

After getting the above file or files, zip them and attach to a post here. If you have any trouble doing that, upload them to this write-only private file transfer site, and I will re-post them here. You simply have to drag/drop the files on this site: www.transferbigfiles.com/dropbox/joema

FCPX Crashing a large project 16 Jul 2022 19:50 #121438

Thank you to all those that have responded thus far and attempted to help me. I am currently on production in Africa still filming for this documentary series, which is why I have been slow to respond.
I have now had a chance to address some of the newly suggested methods to try and get this project working:
1. Yes, I have let the project load for several hours hoping it might eventually start working, but it does not. It still remains with the spinning beach ball after 5+ hours of wait time after trying to open this one project file.
2. I attempted the method of creating a new library and importing an XML of the project. I had high hopes on this one but it too failed and immediately set FCPX into a frozen state of "not responding" with the spinning beach ball.3. I have now copied two crash reports in a text/edit document and saved it as instructed. Really hoping this might offer some answers to the FCPX wizards attempting to diagnose what is blocking me from continuing to edit this very important project! THANK YOU ALL.
-Kavana
Attachments:

FCPX Crashing a large project 16 Jul 2022 20:26 #121439

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Your spin dumps indicate the 3rd-party EpocCam plugin version 3.4.0 rc2 is in the memory of FCP. As a test can you completely de-install that, reboot the machine, then see if it still hangs?

FCPX Crashing a large project 17 Jul 2022 05:49 #121456

SUCCESS!!! IT WORKED!

I could have never imagine this random plug in I downloaded a long time ago and was not even using in this library could be effecting it. Apparently this software doesn't run on M1 machines but I was able to find an updated version on their website that is now compatible. And viola the project opens again! I really appreciate your time and feel as if I weight of stress has been lifted off my shoulders. Well done.

FCPX Crashing a large project 24 Jul 2022 17:56 #121547

When someone has a moment can you take a peak at this crash report and let me know what stands out to you? Thank you!
Attachments:

FCPX Crashing a large project 24 Jul 2022 18:56 #121548

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
It looks like there is an issue with importing or exporting an XML file, possibly...

FCPX Crashing a large project 24 Jul 2022 19:05 #121549

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

When someone has a moment can you take a peak at this crash report and let me know what stands out to you? Thank you!

It appears it was trying to export XML using a Swift language runtime. That in turn hit a breakpoint exception which is in case a developer with the source code wants to debug it.

FCP X was originally written in Objective-C, so the Swift references might imply it's newer code for functions that have been moved to Swift.

Were you exporting XML when it crashed, or what were the steps right before that? If you weren't exporting XML yourself, were you doing something that might cause that, such as some 3rd-party utility or plugin, or sending a batch to Compressor? If so what was in the batch?

The EpocCamPlugin ver. 3.4.1 rc2 is still in FCP's memory address space. If this is a reproducible problem or happens fairly frequently, can you totally remove all EpocCam software and see if it makes a difference?

FCPX Crashing a large project 25 Jul 2022 14:57 #121580

Yes I am trying to export an XML to have a backup of my work in case the project has further problems.
Initially I updated Epoc Cam rather than uninstalling it. I have now uninstalled it and then restarted the computer. I tried again to export an XML for the project and again it failed during the process and crashed FCPX. Crash report is attached. Thank you.
Attachments:

FCPX Crashing a large project 25 Jul 2022 16:17 #121583

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you for doing that. I used a diff tool to compare the crashing stack traces, and they are essentially identical. I confirm the Epoc Cam software was removed, so it doesn't seem at fault. There are some warnings about "fault hit memory shortage" but I believe that is a side effect of hitting the exception, not the cause. That said, it's common sense to verify you have plenty of spare disk space on all drives.

Exporting an XML should not crash FCP. Was that a library XML or project XML?

Does your library use only external media? After you delete all generated library files, what is the size of your library in Finder? If it's less than 100-200 MB or so, could you duplicate the library in Finder, open that library ZIP that and send it to me at this secure write-only file transfer site? www.transferbigfiles.com/dropbox/joema

That will contain no media just the library and list of filenames. I could try to load the library then export an XML. If it crashes on my machine I can file a bug with Apple, also maybe do some tests to narrow down the problem area.

If the library is bigger than 200 MB, in Finder do right+click>Show Package Contents, go into each Even folder and in Finder's List View sort by size and state each folder name and how large they are. In general you can safely delete folders named "Render Files" and "Analysis Files", but don't do that without a file-level backup of the library. Doing it on a duplicate of the library you made in Finder is OK. That is simply to reduce extraneous render or analysis files to get the library small enough to ZIP for uploading.

FCPX Crashing a large project 25 Jul 2022 17:26 #121585

I'm editing off a 36TB lacie drive with 12TB available, so storage space is not the issue. I'm editing off the external drive where all the media is stored.

I'm trying to export an XML of a specific project, not a library. I tested to see if I am able to export an XML from another timeline and it worked without a problem. The issue must be within this specific large project that has been giving me issues after adding a few TB of 4K footage to it. My machine should be able to handle it as I have a MBP with M1 Max with 32GB of ram.

I have deleted the render files. The library is 6.2GB. I'm too nervous to start deleting contents of folders within the package contents so I just zipped the library which is now 3GB. Can I send you a link to access it?

• Page: