fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 18:09 #44928

This is going to sound silly, but for once in the past nearly three years with FCP X, I'm pretty satisfied with what I have right now.

(I'm bracing myself for being pelted with rotten fruit)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 18:12 #44930

Ssshhhhhhh! Don't say that. ;)

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 18:18 #44931

The only thing I'm really looking for is for an X update is the RED GPU enhancements that Resolve has gotten and Premier has announced. That would really help me on this job I'll be on until the Fall.

Everything else is mostly just my interest in the overall development of the software.

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 18:22 #44932

The GPU enhancements will come from Red in their plugin bundle.

The 12-Core I've been using runs Dragon footage just great in 'better performance'. What problems are you having?

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 18:30 #44933

My 8-core nMP is running "Better Performance" footage fine- I haven't even bothered to make proxies. But once I have to start exporting elements for graphics, or render temp comps I'll really appreciate the speed boost- which on Resolve is supposedly a pretty nice bump. And playback performance may improve a bit as well.

So it would be an update to the Apple Workflow plugin, and not an update to X itself which will bring those enhancements?

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 18:46 #44934

"So it would be an update to the Apple Workflow plugin, and not an update to X itself which will bring those enhancements?"

That's right, Red controls that since it's their proprietary codec.

Red, Apple and Adobe still advise making proxies for editing. Having realtime Red playback is for being able to get started on a project and it's not intended for cutting, especially if you are compositing or adding effects.

I'm a big fan of the proxy workflow in FCP X, not having to rescale footage later is huge.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 18:50 #44935

I'm only really holding off on proxies until I can get a day with my director to sit down and do our RedCineX colour settings- otherwise I know I'll just have to blow them all away and transcode them over again.

Still, it's pretty remarkable to be able to work this way the way. I think after about 8 hours things were getting a bit laggy in the timeline, but just quitting and restarting X and things were smooth again.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 19:23 #44937

That really is the conundrum.

I keep going back and forth on leaving the Red settings neutral and then doing a temp grade in FCP X. That said, I'm pretty amazed by how fast the nMP generates proxies. I haven't done any stopwatch tests with it to see how long it takes for running time/proxy creation, but it's pretty fast compared to 10.0.9.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 21:25 #44944

Apple's launched a bunch of updates today. There's still time for FCP to appear on that list. Fingers crossed!

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 22:29 #44947

Yeah, for a while there when the updates started to fly I thought we might see something- but I think we're back in a holding pattern now 'til next week.

Prove me wrong, Apple, I dares ya!

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 16:30 #45009

I still think we need to see 10.9.3 first.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 17:59 #45021

• Atamanov
  • Эгоист.
  • Thank you received: 3
last Beta version of Maverick is more better work with RAM!

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 19:41 #45031

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131

last Beta version of Maverick is more better work with RAM!

So you have tried the beta and it is better with Ram?

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 19:50 #45032

I still think we need to see 10.9.3 first.

I'm not saying it's impossible- I'm just not sure why it would be necessary.

Hopefully we'll see soon.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 20:32 #45034

• Atamanov
  • Эгоист.
  • Thank you received: 3
Yes, I installed last beta version 10.9.3 (13D45a).

Now I am working on 63 minutes HD project and colour correction and denoise on FCP X. after 1 hour of work RAM (16GB) no more free Ram and FCP X works very slow.
I am shutting down only FCP X and more Ram is free than before 10.9.3beta. then start FCP X again without restarting my MBP (15 retina 2013 late), before Beta install i was need to restart.
Connected HP ZR30w monitor with thunderbolt DVI and HDMI out to TVlogic LVM-243W.

i am not recommend to install beta. it is on your own risk.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 20:35 #45035

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67
"after 1 hour of work RAM (16GB) no more free Ram and FCP X works very slow.
I am shutting down only FCP X"

Please report this FCP X "memory leak" to Apple using the FCP X feedback form if you have not done so already. :-)
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 21:19 #45038

Those memory leaks are most certainly caused by some third party plugin. I had one caused by the LUT Utility, but after the latest update for the plugin even longer projects (>100 minute feature ProRes422 HQ) plays smoothly all day on a late 2013 rMBP with 16 GB of RAM.

Last edit: by Soundwise.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 22:51 #45041

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Apple still has their original beta testers for OSX, and they are treated differently from the public beta program. So, this is not an across the board public beta, just a public beta version, running parallel with the normal, traditional beta. Also, public beta testers sign a NDA agreement, thus, public discourse about it is illegal, technically.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 24 Apr 2014 23:05 #45042

In the terms of service on the public beta it states that you aren't allowed to discuss it publicly. So by clicking Yes you are in a way under an NDA with Apple.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 25 Apr 2014 04:14 #45054

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
"Is the pre-release software I am installing confidential?
Yes, the pre-release software is Apple confidential information. For example, don’t install the pre-release Apple software on any systems you don't directly control or that you share with others, don’t blog, post screen shots, tweet or publicly post information about the pre-release Apple software, and don't discuss the pre-release Apple software with or demonstrate it to others who are not in the OS X Beta Seed Program.
Read our Terms for full details>"

You are not soft of like under NDA, you are under fully legal, full NDA, period.