fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 14:57 #44842

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
I think Apple rumors are a great source of amusement and are about as accurate as the evening news.

Be patient. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 15:31 #44845

Can't believe no-one has heard anything about 10.1.2. There must be SOMEONE outside Apple that knows what's coming. These things get leaked. Just take a look at macrumors and the iPhone 6 stuff.

The obvious difference between FCPX and iPhone6 hardware is that the iPhone must pass thru many more hands on its way to production. They way Apple currently manufactures these products, the closer to they get to production, the more utterly impossible it is to keep these things under wraps. Literally tens of thousands of people are involved in the manufacture in the ramp up to release. So it's no surprise really.

With Apple software like FCPX, the only people who have access are the Apple employees working on them, and a select group of trusted Beta testers. And those beta testers access is entirely predicated on their discretion. And none of them are willing to loose that special access for 20 minutes of internet fame.

There could well be posters on this board Beta testing 10.1.2 right now. I know people who have in the past, and they don't talk about it, and I don't ask.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:00 #44849

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 71
I wonder how they benefit from the FCPX secrecy compared to their higher volume products.
With iPhone and iPad they're in fierce competition with Samsung, Google and other companies along with a slew of lawsuits regarding patents.

While I don't think one wants to broadcast software changes too far in advance, does Apple think that Adobe, for example, will readily "steal" or "emulate" a specific feature which will steal aways FCPX customers especially if announced just a few weeks before an update?

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:04 #44850

I'm with Marcus.

There are 2 things (for me). One is to send feature requests or bugs to Apple and publish the answer – these are public anyway.
The other thing is to talk about seeds. These are under NDA and a signed contract. To publish any of the insights would be not only stupid but also can/will cause a financial issue beside loosing reputation.

So whats the issue?
Do your edits, report bugs and requests and wait for the next version and instead of wasting time to figure out rumors spend this time to care about yourself and your family.

-Andreas

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:07 #44851

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

spend this time to care about yourself and your family.

Preach it!

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:15 #44852

Honestly, I think it's just corporate policy. Personally, I agree that it's probably not as necessary in their Pro Software products. And it's pretty clear when Apple feels they've made a mistake, or need to do some PR damage control, but because they will break corporate secrecy when they need to.

Just over the last year or so-

• Apple has listed updated features that would be coming back to it's iWork products since the October launch
• pre-announced the MacPro- first directly by Tim Cook at WWDC last year, then with 2 product previews months before it's eventual launch
• and as many will remember, Apple reps publicly responded to missing features right after the launch of FCPX in 2011. As well, areas of development for feature releases were listed on FCPX's "What's New" page up to 10.0.6. These weren't lists of ALL coming features, but just highlights of marque features people were waiting for.

Honestly, that last one I wouldn't mind seeing return. If Apple were list a couple of areas of development and just say, SUMMER 2014, I think many people would be happy. If we knew for example that AUDIO MIXING was coming, that still leaves endless avenues of speculation for how they're going to implement that, and the general release windows like EARLY 2012 given them lots of wiggle room so that they don't feel rushed on development.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:20 #44853

The other thing is to talk about seeds. These are under NDA and a signed contract. To publish any of the insights would be not only stupid but also can/will cause a financial issue beside loosing reputation.

The other thing here being that some features that appear in Betas do not make it into the final release.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:24 #44854

Preach it!

As the person who starts these threads, I'm obviously the last person to talk about waiting patently. Though I think Richard Taylor has beat me now with his FCPX update clock-

fcpx.tv/Pages/updatetimer.html

Hey, if you're invested in anything, then you'll want to discuss it with people similarly interested. There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy speculation. As best it could lead one of us to submit feature enhancement requests which push development. At worst, it's fun discussion.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:29 #44855

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Totally agree. Speculating on FCP updates is one of my favorite past times. However, I'll be happier and more productive, and more fulfilled if I simply work hard. ;)

The update is really going to be here before you know it.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:31 #44856

The update is really going to be here before you know it.

Tomorrow IS Tuesday.... B)

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 16:49 #44858

Tomorrow IS Tuesday.... B)
Yes thats true.
And all of the "organic waste bins" in our block will be emptied :P

-Andreas

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 18:20 #44862

• Atamanov
  • Эгоист.
  • Thank you received: 3
We are all waiting FCP X update. it would be great but i think it should be after system update 10.9.3 about 2 weeks later because Apple need to test FCP X Update on new system update.
and it is about 3-6 weeks.

and just NAB finished and Apple need to add some little or big features.
If Apple will add something (not just fix errors) no tracking will be because mocha SliceX/TrackX already announced. You are right maybe timeline optimise and colours on timeline and maybe audio mixing. what I am whiting is AAF/OMF import export, XDCAM and MXF Export and i can make more projects on FCP X without Avid.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 18:24 #44863

We are all waiting FCP X update. it would be great but i think it should be after system update 10.9.3 about 2 weeks later because Apple need to test FCP X Update on new system update.
and it is about 3-6 weeks.

The FCPX team will have had builds of any upcoming OSX releases for at least as long as regular developers, and likely much longer. So I don't see any issues there.

and just NAB finished and Apple need to add some little or big features.
If Apple will add something (not just fix errors) no tracking will be because mocha SliceX/TrackX already announced. You are right maybe timeline optimise and colours on timeline and maybe audio mixing. what I am whiting is AAF/OMF import export, XDCAM and MXF Export and i can make more projects on FCP X without Avid.

Apple has said repeatedly that AAF/OMF support is a "excellent opportunity for 3rd parties", so X2PRo is going to be the best solution for the foreseeable future.

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 19:39 #44869

Honestly, I think it's just corporate policy. Personally, I agree that it's probably not as necessary in their Pro Software products. And it's pretty clear when Apple feels they've made a mistake, or need to do some PR damage control, but because they will break corporate secrecy when they need to.

Just over the last year or so-

• Apple has listed updated features that would be coming back to it's iWork products since the October launch
• pre-announced the MacPro- first directly by Tim Cook at WWDC last year, then with 2 product previews months before it's eventual launch
• and as many will remember, Apple reps publicly responded to missing features right after the launch of FCPX in 2011. As well, areas of development for feature releases were listed on FCPX's "What's New" page up to 10.0.6. These weren't lists of ALL coming features, but just highlights of marque features people were waiting for.

Honestly, that last one I wouldn't mind seeing return. If Apple were list a couple of areas of development and just say, SUMMER 2014, I think many people would be happy. If we knew for example that AUDIO MIXING was coming, that still leaves endless avenues of speculation for how they're going to implement that, and the general release windows like EARLY 2012 given them lots of wiggle room so that they don't feel rushed on development.

Yeah I think we only seen that cause Apple has to fix the damage they did... but it would be nice to see a roadmap.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Apr 2014 19:53 #44871

There was an Apple "invite only" event at NAB mentioned on a recent FinalCutGrill. I take it this was covered under an NDA?

* Edited to add- I listened back to that episode of FCG, and the host explicitly says he was asked not to quote anything directly said in the presentation.

There's an interesting bit of back and forth between Chris Fenwick and his guests Sam Mestman and Michael Garber, all of which have I guess had varying levels of interaction with Steven Bays and the dev team. And you can hear how much they bemoan the fact that Steven can't be let loose to be Apple's "Al Mooney" for FCPX. I know I've heard this from others- that those who've talked with people working on the software come away with no apprehension about Apple's enthusiasm for Final Cut or doubts about the company's long term commitment.

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 12:09 #44896

Well... rumor has it that 10.1.2 will be bug fixing and not a feature update ;)

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 12:15 #44897

Is that from a 'good' source Chris?

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 12:24 #44898

Is that from a 'good' source Chris?

I can't really say.

It's what I heard from the beta-testing broadcast grapevine.

I for one have no expectations of anything more than fixes now, but would be pleasantly surprised to see some workflow enhancements.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 17:19 #44926

I'm more optimistic than you chrisb, based on what I've heard.

Did Apple REALLY need to get my hopes up momentarily with a Safari security update today? :P

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 22 Apr 2014 17:57 #44927

• ejis1979
  • I am just being me. :-)
  • Thank you received: 0

Well... rumor has it that 10.1.2 will be bug fixing and not a feature update ;)

No, I don't think is just a bugs fix for that update. Pretty sure, there will be additional features that will be adding on in 10.1.2.
I hope the list of features will be like a 50-100 of them that will optimize for the new Mac Pro, OSX 10.9.3 and no other NLE has those features yet that makes the editors will blow their minds away! Real big competition for PP and Avid :woohoo: :P :ohmy: B) :)

Last edit: by ejis1979.