fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 00:37 #12115

Apple,

Where's our FCP X "updates" that were supposed to be announced on June 27 at LAFCPUG??

Mountain Lion....phewy!

FCP X Updates please!

Apple is sticking to it's existing release schedule. Which means we can hope to see 10.0.6 sometime in late August (I'm betting the 21st)... and it should be a big one!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 03:09 #12117

AirPlay will work with any Wi-Fi enabled Mac running Lion or Mountain Lion. AirPlay Mirroring, however, is a new feature in Mountain Lion that requires Mid-2011 or later iMacs, Mac Minis, or Macbooks.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 03:46 #12118

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Yes, AirPlay is an iTunes audio thing that's been around since Leopard. Yawn...

Video is the cool stuff, though.

There is an app called AirParrot for Macs that won't support AirPlay Mirroring.
airparrot.com/

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 06:04 #12126

Some of my old sound effects, that were compressed to AAC went mute and nothing comes out when I play them through QT Player 7 or X. In Lion they played fine. I made a droplet in Compressor to recompress them. That seemed to help and they still sound OK.
My main DAW is still on Snow Leopard, so no big harm there.
One thing I miss in Safari is the RSS support.
Otherwise all is well.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 14:04 #12139

I'm inbetween projects so I downloaded and installed yesterday. First thing I noticed was the OS was much zippier. Time will tell, though as I've experienced the OS getting bogged down after time. I'm keen to use reminders, notes and calendar for organising my work but I've not quite got my head around it yet. Same with notifications. I'm looking for decent article on how these can INCREASE productivity rather than add an unnecessary level to my workload. Was gutted about the loss of RSS in Safari as that's always been a massive timesaver in terms of keeping up with news. I downloaded Reeder instead and imported the RSS from Safari (with a third party app Safari Feed to OPML to convert them). Not had a chance to do any editing at the moment - have a 2hr job tomorrow. Exported SD QT from QT7 and encoded a couple of DVDs in DVDSP without any hiccups this morning, though. Looking forward to how Moutain Lion and FCPX work together - I imagine there's been some hold back on FCPX until Mountain Lioin functionality is in place.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 14:19 #12142

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I've been using FireFox for years. I checked out Safari in ML, impressive, but I'm sticking with FireFox and Thunderbird for now. BTW, with ML, Thunderbird 13.0.1 will actually automatically make a new address book from your Mac Address Book app! Super cool!

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 22:24 #12154

Some of my old sound effects, that were compressed to AAC went mute and nothing comes out when I play them through QT Player 7 or X. In Lion they played fine. I made a droplet in Compressor to recompress them. That seemed to help and they still sound OK.
My main DAW is still on Snow Leopard, so no big harm there.
One thing I miss in Safari is the RSS support.
Otherwise all is well.

I would not advice using AAC for your sound effects. More rather Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) or minimum AIFF.

;)

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 22:33 #12155

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I agree with the scrub man. ACC is mega super compressed like MP3 is, and you lose fidelity and dynamic range. AIFF is uncompressed, as is BWAV. Audio files are small enough as it is, I don't see the need for mega-compression.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 26 Jul 2012 22:59 #12163

Like I did not know that. Those SFXs worked pretty well for me on numerous feature films. SDII was the other option then and the hard disk space was pretty expensive 15 years ago!
AIFF nor BWAV were not options those days. All is good now though.

Last edit: by Soundwise.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 27 Jul 2012 00:04 #12166

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Actually AIFF and BWAV were around back then. SD2 was proprietary to the first ProTools release. I was using AIFF on DAWs back on my Mac Plus. But sound for features back then was still done on tape. I sure as hell do NOT miss multitrack tape...

But today, AIFF or WAV uncompressed are the way to go.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 27 Jul 2012 08:37 #12178

Yes, AirPlay is an iTunes audio thing that's been around since Leopard. Yawn...

Video is the cool stuff, though.

There is an app called AirParrot for Macs that won't support AirPlay Mirroring.
airparrot.com/

Is there any way to find out if a Mac is compatible with AirPlay mirroring?

I have an Early 2011 model MacBookPro (came installed with Lion), and I was kind of looking forward to this feature. Shame to miss it by a few months....

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 27 Jul 2012 12:44 #12184

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Apple's own OS X site has a Tech Spec page that lists specs for each individual feature that requires such.
www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 27 Jul 2012 13:56 #12190

Cool thanks! Looks like my one scraped through!

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 27 Jul 2012 15:16 #12193

Just incase you want to know more info and maybe a work around, check out this Article:
The Real Reason Why Macs Before 2011 Can’t Use AirPlay Mirroring In Mountain Lion Read more...

Last edit: by Scrubelicious.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 28 Jul 2012 03:15 #12221

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 208
So I just took the plunge. So far so good. Just now checking out system.
Upgrade took around 12-15 minutes till log-in screen with ML ready. After 25min ML download from App Store.
Everything seems in place, even my removal of "safe sleep mode" I did in Lion. ML did not replace the defaults. I'm on a retina 16GB so not having the system write 16GB to my ssd each time I close the lid is great in my book. Removed the 16GB reserved space as well.
Took Apple a couple of days to send the redemption code for the "up to date" ML down load. Seems they are backed up and the process is not automated. Been sending out wrong codes.
Enabled Airdrop on my MP 1.1 to move files back and forth via ethernet, works great.
Still having issue with USB3 ports. Have to relaunch finder after hooking up external dock to get it fully functional. Lots of chatter on Apple forums about USB3 not behaving properly. I think it needs firmware (driver) update.
Off to feed horses then play with ML.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 02 Aug 2012 14:57 #12535

Can someone with ML and a Canon DSLR please confirm if EOS Utility is working (especial the live view function).

Much appreciated!

Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 - most of the default plugins have vanished 04 Aug 2012 00:18 #12604

Hello...

I am yet to get my teeth into Final Cut X, so still using 7 mainly. Installed Mountain Lion a couple of days ago on my MBPro, not too many issues so far, except a larger project that runs fine on Lion on my Mac Pro and loaded fine on my MacBookPro before updating now states:

Defocus plug-in could not be loaded, please reinstall the plug-in.

FCP refuses to render the parts of the project/sequence that have that plug-in present on a video clip. When I look at the plugins listed under the effects within FCP, under the Blur plugins most of them are missing including Defocus. All very much present when I check on my Mac Pro.

I have not managed to find the files within Finder that relate to these plugins on my MBP or MacPro, so unable to tell if the plugins have actually been deleted by MLion somehow or if they are just not being loaded for some reason.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this issue? I copied the FCP7 Application package manually over from my MacPro but as expected that made no difference.

Thanks...

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 04 Aug 2012 00:29 #12605

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Manual copying of FCP legacy doesn't work. Too many system level stuff to deal with.

Re: What works and doesn't work with Mountain Lion 04 Aug 2012 00:31 #12606

• ptrush
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
yeah, i had a similar problem trying to open a project after updating to mountain lion with alex 4ds plugins for final cut X. The newly installed plugins gave me troubles. My solution was to physically copy the old plugins that worked from my old backup drive to my Motion effects folder on the newly installed Mountain Lion. Hope this works for you... Just wondering if it's some kind of permissions thing. worth a shot i guess

Last edit: by ptrush.

EOS MOVIE Plugin-E1 for Final Cut Pro 04 Aug 2012 00:38 #12607

I can confirm the EOS log and tranfer utiliy works for importing and converting Canon DSLR movie files... I've not used live view