fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Flatland BMX rider portrait RED Canon GH4 23 Mar 2016 16:22 #74593

Hey guys,

i am a long timer user of final cut and final cut pro x, used x from day one and also used fcp.co as my main source to learn about it.
I do mostly advertising work and little editing jobs.
By the end of 2015 we were shooting a film about one of the beat flatland BMX riders in the world. When we met him for the first time, we decided not to do it like every other BMX or Skateboard film looks like.
We decided to take at least 5 days of shooting and all the equipment we can get for no money :-) and do it as good as we can. Invested loads of time in post also.
We shot on RED epic, Canon 5D mark III RAW with ML, GH4, GoPro, iphone...
And i was delighted as always just to throw everything at FCPX and it handled it great!

Thanks to this community for all the teaching and the fcp.co team for keeping up the great work and keep this site alive!

I hope you like the result. CC always welcome.

Have a good day.
Andreas

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Flatland BMX rider portrait RED Canon GH4 23 Mar 2016 19:22 #74596

• Pielle
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 52
Andreas Congratulations, it's a great job. I really like the cut that you gave to the film: very dynamic as the subject demanded, the different locations do not distract attention to the main subject rather praise him. The grading in some points can be improved for me but it is a matter of taste. Anyway, for sure very nice indeed.
Pielle

Flatland BMX rider portrait RED Canon GH4 23 Mar 2016 23:40 #74605

Thank you very much Pielle for your comment and also your concerns to the grading. We tried many things in terms of grading the film. And the colours as they are now are i have to admit a little bit of a tradeoff to the different pictures we got from the different cameras we used. But afterall i am very happy with the slightly coolish desaturated look.
First we tried to use resolve for grading the film, but the walkaround with FCPX and resolve was too much hassle so in the end we did all grading in FCPX and are very happy with the result and that we did everything inside FCPX.

Greetings
Andreas

Flatland BMX rider portrait RED Canon GH4 30 Mar 2016 21:34 #74803

B)

Congratulations Andreas, because I've never bothered to pay attention to 5 minutes of BMX before!

I liked the clean and modern locations (but derelict buildings less so), liked the quality of the images, liked the music's being laid back and not typically overpowering. Nice the way you kept continuity via the bike riding while cutting between scenes. Lots of fun angles you used, playing with lighting and shadows.

Your subject Dan could have spoken/narrated a little more, there must be something else of interest he could have added about his performance or the equipment or the locations - perhaps some riddle at the start which was answered in the end... otherwise 5 minutes is going to tax the patience of most people?

I had a look at your studio's Facebook page and was impressed with the slow motion shower head film. How do you arrange the lighting for that? It looked great.

Would have liked to see Dan doing pirouettes in such a shower!

Flatland BMX rider portrait RED Canon GH4 31 Mar 2016 03:06 #74807

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
I've seen a lot of BMX flatland and mountain bike videos, this was a refreshing style. Well done!

Flatland BMX rider portrait RED Canon GH4 27 Apr 2016 03:07 #76097

This was fantastic! Dan is a great rider and your visuals really showcased his style, great work all around!

• Page: